[Stoves] Wendlelbo's : Re Large TLUD --- TLUD Stove history

Paul S. Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Mon Aug 29 11:10:19 CDT 2011

Andrew and all,   see below:

Quoting ajheggie at gmail.com:

> On Sunday 28 August 2011 14:49:48 Paul S. Anderson wrote:
>> (It took me four years 2001 to 2005 to get to that point of having
>> concentrator lids on the TLUDs.
>
> Even the Reed-Larson stove diagrams from 1995ish showed a concentrator,
> essentially to disrupt flow and increase turbulence but it used the
> term "bluff body", this is to induce mixing in the eddies downstream. In
> that case it lead to a circle of flame around the edge of the stove,
> mimicking a flame from a pre mixed gas appliance.

The famous Reed-Larson device __spread__ the gases into an narrow
annulus, which some might call "concentration while separating".  That
annulus was its only serious defect because it did not have sufficient
gases together to sustain a vigorous flame.

Wendelbo in the 1990s and Anderson in 2005 brought together the gases
into a central hole, which seems a more appropriate use of
"concentration while bringing together."

Whatever the name, Reed and Larson missed it and Wendelbo and Anderson
got it right.

The rest of your message (below) gives an excellent description of why
bottom-lit fires are more smokey and harder to control.  If we could
now get more people to read and understand that message (which is the
same from the "early days" or from "present day writings"), we will
eventually get the IDD / TLUD technology into the minds of the the
Stovers and eventually to the people who use the stoves.

Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Known to some as:  Dr. TLUD    Doc    Professor
Phone (USA): 309-452-7072   SKYPE: paultlud   Email: psanders at ilstu.edu
www.gtz.de/de/dokumente/giz2011-en-micro-gasification.pdf   (Best ref.)