[Stoves] Stove terminology

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Wed Aug 31 15:54:25 CDT 2011

Andrew, Steve, Martin, and list

For we non-German-speakers, I got something from
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXk4GIasD5g&NR=1
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-E9EP08eR4&feature=related

But even more from their (in English) operating manual at

http://www.fireplaces.co.uk/pdfs/xeoos-operation-manual-5kw-8kw-2008.pdf

I believe this qualifies as BLDD. That is, they have designed for most of the air to be available below the grate.

I am afraid you, being nearby, will have to do a little more exploring for us at a local dealer near London. I couldn't find a dealer list at the last ("fireplaces") URL, but there should be one pretty near you.

One of the two videos gives some hint on the importance of placing the grate properly (rotationally). I think that could be one of the hidden surprises on their getting good efficiency and emissions. There is mention of research (at Stuttgart?). They want this graate to run red hot.

The reason that a BLDD (this) design is appropriate is likely the longer path for the combustion flame to cool down and heat the room, before getting to the chimney.. I am surprised that it takes so long to get ready for the shift to this (more efficient) BLDD operation.

I think there is not much here for transfer to this list's wood cook stove design - although maybe use of a plancha and/or oven.would allow something novel with DD..

I think there is a chance for charcoal making- at least for the last several loads of wood - not the first. But to do that, one would have to be ready at the right time to dunk the glowing char into a pail of water, I expect. Probably no more convenient than TLUD or any other wood stove operation - especially as it doesn't appear that one can cut off the primary air supply.

I look forward to hearing your professional opinion after your seeing one up close.

Ron