[Stoves] going bananas

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Mon Dec 5 23:29:54 CST 2011

Crispin,
You found me watching a series of youtube videos about  pulse jet engines --ignited as it were by your reference to a means of etching out thin metal forms …

When dried, then  decomposed a bit, Hyacinth tends to form a combination of strings and pithy mass of no particular value. The strings do however tend to  encapsulate other more chunky materials and  in that sense it is a mechanical binder.
In and of itself it is not too useful as a combustible. (Tends to smoulder)

Cardboard or as its known out here, 'cartonboard' uses a glue which in many cases is said to be carcinogenic. To many it simply stinks and it is actually washed off decanted of  a soaking mass of th stuff abd refilling with fresh water to effectively dilute its concentration.  That type of  cartonboard is the great  deciever in briquettemaking generally  becasue for the newbie it seems great at the outset: it realy sticks things together dries rock hard …but then when t comes to testign the briquette one finds sadly that  it is both hard to ignite and it stinks when  combusted.  Its best test is to burn it insitu. If it suggests a problem and you still really need the resource,  saturate it and soak  it for a few days,  then decant the water, dilute with fresh water then test again when dry…
Someday we will all have a wonderful text book for all of this eh ?
Richard