[Stoves] Understanding Stoves

Sai Bhaskar Reddy Nakka saibhaskarnakka at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 23:02:05 CST 2011

Dear Crispin,

Thanks a lot. In the two pot stoves, while the gases move towards the
second pot, there is some length and time for gases for combustion. In the
two pot stoves the draft of the flames is across before reaching the second
pot. Importantly, for the single pot stoves, short chimney is a great idea.
I agree with Dr. Karve the cost of chimney costs more than the stove.

The height of a average Indian women while sitting on the floor and cooking
is about 2 to 2.5 feet (it will be even less when they bend in acute angle
to reach the stove, as they cannot sit too close to the stove). It is
almost inconvenient for them to cook on a stove along with the cooking
vessel which reaches above 1.5 feet.

Similarly for institutional stoves, especially for the cooking needs of 200
for more and served at a time (schools / hotels / etc.) the height of the
stove is a major concern. From the surface of the ground they will never
let the height of the stove exceed 6 inches. I had to literally push the
stove into the ground and create a ramp to meet the needs of the cook.
Because for stirring and lifting the cooked food from fire, etc., are the
difficult tasks. The utensil is usually dragged to the serving area.

Dr. N. Sai Bhaskar Reddy

What a wonderful review. There is a little bit in there for everyone. What