[Stoves] Understanding Stoves

Sai Bhaskar Reddy Nakka saibhaskarnakka at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 04:07:47 CST 2011

Dear Xavier, Crispin, Rok, Krishna, Tom Miles and All,

Thank you.

>Xavier Brando: Yes, height is the major concern for institutional stoves,
so I discovered also.

>Crispin: We found in Swaziland where people are not tall and the cooks are
often
teenagers that access to the pots was important. The height of the stoves
that hold a 70 litre pot is not really reducible. Thus we build a step
beside each stove, at least two, from concrete blocks or recycled bricks. It
happens that stoves are often installed in pairs so the steps are usually
placed between them allowing access to both stoves.

The steps are important for accessibility. Recently I have prepared a
kitchen and other spaces plan with some of the aspects including steps.

https://picasaweb.google.com/saibhaskar.gsbc/KitchenPlanForSchools

For institutional stoves facilitation stove design, kitchen and other
spaces are also important. Sometimes facilitating a good stove for a new
institutional kitchen is easier than for the existing institutions.

Especially in the government schools in Andhra Pradesh, 99% of biomass
stoves in use are three stone stoves (Mid-day meals are served in the
government schools as per the policy by Government of India). Three stone
stoves require less space and  these stones (stove) can be moved to any
place as per the convenience. The roof of the kitchens in majority of the
cases is very low. The percentage of cost spent on kitchen as compared to
all the infrastructure cost in many institutions is less than 1%. In many
schools there is no kitchen created yet (cooking is done in open places /
under the trees). Most often there is no allocation of budget to create a
good kitchen. The cost of a good stove and installation charges should be
part of the kitchen. Stove, Kitchen and other spaces are integral part of
facilitation of good stoves. To facilitate institutional stoves
successfully, I had to look at the below aspects:

·         Space for stove: The efficient good stoves often consume more
space than the traditional inefficient stoves. Apart from space for stoves,
there should be enough space for the cooks to move around.

·         Space for keeping food ingredients (rice, salt, spices, oil,
etc.): Within the kitchen for making curries, etc, some ingredients are
required, which should be accessible and close to the stove.

·         Space for utensils / spoons, etc.: This space is rarely found in
the kitchens.

·         Space for fuel wood within kitchen : There is need for space to
keep the required amount of fire wood needed for cooking. The cooks don’t
prefer to go out to get the fuel wood and they decide to keep all the
needed fuel wood for one cooking period.

·         Ventilation (chimneys), cross ventilation (windows) : There are
different types of spaces existing for cooking. A) Cooking under the trees
(completely open) b) Cooking in semi-ventilated conditions - small 4 to 5
feet high walls cover the stoves and covered with a roof (thatched / tin /
asbestos / etc.) c) Cooking in the rooms with one or two windows, with or
without a ventilator / chimney / hood.

·         Food pre-preparation place: The cooks prepare the raw vegetables
cutting them, clean rice and dal from small stones, etc. This place is very
essential and should be located close to the place of cooking. It was found
that due to intense heat from the cook stoves, they do all preparations as
far as possible. If this place is close to the kitchen, there won’t be
wastage of fuel and time.

·         Food items storage place: The rations are brought on monthly /
fortnightly / weekly basis (as per the convenience). This storage room
should be located close to the kitchen.

·         Location of the water: As water is an important requirement in
cooking, the location of the source of water is important. If running water
is available, a tube can be connected to bring water. Where running water
is not available, a drum / bigger vessel is kept within the kitchen for
storing and using the water. This water storage container within the
kitchen adds to inconvenience for the cooks.

·         Utensils washing place: All the utensils, including the plates
need to be washed, this often found close to the kitchen. If not properly
designed leads to inconvenience, say the fuel wood might get wet with
overflow of this water. It also leads to unhygienic conditions around the
kitchen.

·         Waste management: The biomass collected from plates, wasted food,
vegetable waste, etc., also requires a place to store before disposing.
Compost bins are a good option, if space is available.

·         Serving place: In institutional kitchens the serving place should
be close to the kitchen. The transportation of the cooked food is a major
problem with distance, unless trolleys are available (it is very rare to
find trolleys).

·         Hand wash place : A hands washing place (wash basins) to be
located close to serving place for students. The same place is used for
cleaning the plates and glasses before and after eating.

·         Drinking water: Place for drinking water should be close to the
food serving area.

·         Bulk fuel wood storage place: The fuel wood is bought on weekly
or monthly basis. There is a need for a waterproof place to store it.

·         Fuel wood preparation: Fuel wood bought is cut into small pieces
of wood for convenience of cooking. Sometimes this work is done close to
the kitchens. Sometimes they need to dry the wood in the sun, so requires
some vacant open place too. This place is close to the kitchen. In the
schools, sometimes the noise of cutting wood disturbs the students in the
class rooms.

·         Collection and storage of ash and charcoal: This is a valuable
resource. Many times it was found that the cooks sell the charcoal
collected for other purposes. Some part of ash is used for cleaning
utensils and some part is wasted. Ash, charcoal and the food waste can be
used to make a very good biochar compost.

·         Access to the kitchen: The bullock cart / auto trolley / tractor
/ any other vehicle that brings the wood and rations to the kitchen, should
have a good access path.

·         Aspect: The sun light is a very good source and could be used
effectively for cooking. In parts of India, the SE corner is the best place
for location of Kitchens. There will be plenty of sunlight (the tropic of
cancer crosses almost middle of India), there will be more sunlight from
the southern direction. During daytime cooking there will be advantage of
the natural light too. It is convenient to dry the food items in the
southern court yard, like chillies, dal, and flour, etc., (for keeping the
food items fresh and away from insects) which is a close place near the
stove.

·         Prevailing wind directions: The prevailing wind directions in
parts of India are mainly from southwest. By locating the stove (facing
east) in a southeast corner of the kitchen, would help one also avoid
smoke. And the wind will be in the draft direction of the stove, supporting
efficient combustion.

(Note: In India, people have traditional beliefs (*Vaastu*), that is
kitchen should be located in the south east corner in a building.  Which
can also be understood scientifically (Aspect / wind directions). Sometimes
people don’t cook if the kitchen is not located as per *Vaastu*.)

> C V Krishna : ..Apart from the excellent cascading of the needs for
understanding the stove, I feel this funda of yours in simple language will
serve us to teach the school students above standard VI.

>Tom Miles: This is an excellent idea.  In the committees of the Global
Alliance for Clean Cookstoves we discussed and recommended educating
bureaucrats but it would be far more effective to educate students about
stoves.

Yes, educating and creating mass awareness among students is important. It
is strange that in the text books of schools / universities, there is no
mention of the word “STOVE”. We have regular programs in the schools for
awareness on stoves
https://picasaweb.google.com/saibhaskar.gsbc/AwarenessToChildren . As well
facilitating institutional stoves as part of the project Good Stoves and
Biochar Communities Project, supported by GoodPlanet.org.

Dr. N. Sai Bhaskar Reddy