[Stoves] camel dung???

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 09:54:11 CST 2011

Dear Richard and All

Investigating the energy efficiency of cattle, camels and donkeys in Niger, I indirectly gained some perspectives on digestive efficiency that may give a hint.

All three eat pretty much the same things. The efficiency of a camel is quite a bit better than a cow if one measures work accomplished for energy input. Donkeys are the most efficient traction animal around plus they can subsist on coarse grasses that are not attractive. That may explain their proliferation in Botswana.

My point is that the camel's higher system efficiency may mean the digestive efficiency is better too. In turn that indicates that there is less energy available in the byproduct. A camel is a ruminant (three chambered stomach) and should be yielding a reasonable product.

But camel dung sells for less than that from cattle. See Q4 at http://www.camelphotos.com/camel_forum/showthread.php?33-Dung-piles

Why?  If it burned as well it would be worth as much. Note it is very dry when it hits the ground.

Because dung generally needs to be burned in a choked primary air condition, it should work well in TLUD's with that provision and other stoves with good air control.

Also attached is a clean cattle dung (unwashed) fire in a choked primary air condition. Unusual flame colours.

+++++

Otto / Paal,
We just got back from Tanzania and a initial look at some information and the staff working in some refugees camps up in Somalia.
In terms of resrources, it would appear at first glance that nothing is available for  briquettes or for that matter  the  PekoPe.
What we find is wood slivers; ≤pencil- thin sticks-- twigs really, as fall off form the wood bundles the refugees are hauling in,  plus the usual char bits left over from charcoal handling---and possibly,  camel dung.

Do you guys or does anybody else for that matter have experience ith burning camel dung ? We have just discovered great elephant dung + ? blend ,   and cow dung+waste paper briquettes by Francis and MAry Kavits workign with hte masaai in masaai mara , so why not camel dung…It can be "washed" dried with most of the negative smelly parts gasses or washed out as with cow dung, but ...Anybodys insights most welcome..

Richard Stanley