[Stoves] Fwd: {Vetiver System} Vetiver, stoves, and biochar

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 18:59:50 CST 2011

Dear Crispin,
yes, the roots are subjected to steam distillation and the distillated
steam is condensed. The essential oil floats on the condensed water. It is
used in perfumes and also in a cool drink called Khus (rhymes with thus). I
think that a lot of it is exported to be used by the perfume industry,
world wide. The roots are covered with a spongy tissue, which absorbs
and stores water. Therefore, the roots, after extraction of the essential
oil, are woven into mats. The mats are hung in front of doors and windows
and are kept wet. When wind blows through the wet mat, the water evaporates
and the air that enters the house is cooler than the direct blast of air
that comes in from the outside. Nowadays they make boxes in which there is
an electrically driven fan, which blows air through the mat fitted in front
of it. Water from a small water tank kept above the box, drips on the mat
to keep it wet. These so called desert coolers are quite polular,
being much cheaper than an air conditioner. In fact, I use one in my own
bedroom during the hot season. These contraptions don't work in the monsoon
season, because the high atmospheric humidity during monsoon retards the
evaporation of water, nullifying the cooling effect.
Yours
A.D.Karve

--
***