[Stoves] Herreshof furnace

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Thu Dec 22 13:17:20 CST 2011

Yesipov, Tom; Yury; Manuel; 2 lists

1. Thanks to Tom for providing (below) most of the answers for Yesipov.
It is indeed a surprise to see a "stoves" message from 1998. One first response might be that my e-mail address has changed - and is now rongretlarson at comcast.net - should that have been the intent of Yesipov's message. I would be pleased to answer questions off-list, but would prefer on-list.

2. A charcoal expert in Russia who might be very helpful is Dr. Yury - whose address is given above. He will know a lot more about the charcoaling industry in Russia that might be helpful. But I hope we can hear more from Yesipov on exactly what he is looking for.

3. The stoves list still sometimes gives some information on large-scale charcoal making - but Tom Miles has set up a much better list for this sort of inquiry in "biochar-production" (also a Tome Miles lst).. I hope Yesipov and others on "stoves" interested in larger scale char production (such as through the Herreshoff) will join that list.

4. The quoted 1998 message mentions an "Elsen", who went on to both develop his own clever charcoal-making TLUD stove in Kenya (in about 1998?) - but (as related to this message) independently developed a different char-making approach that we don't hear much about, but I feel should be replicated more. It is (I think is still operating) a BLDD (bottom-lit down draft) - in which a central tall chimney is surrounded by a number (10??) of "pits", connected by tubes to the central chimney. Each "pit" had a grate onto which suitable biomass material (bagasse is a "free" favorite, I think) is piled. Then the system operates in the reverse of TLUDs. Being bottom lit, a small flame at the bottom of the tall central chimney creates an updraft there, which translates to a downdraft at the (ten??) outer-connected grates. As the pyrolysis front travels upward at thesegrates, an attendant who notes the appearance at the top of a "red spot" then loads more fuel (bagasse) at these "red spots".
The reversal of the TLUD geometry is beneficial in being able to keep adding fuel - not possible with TLUDs. With a suitable "valve" in the connecting "pipes", any single "grate" can be "turned off" and the resulting char extinguished in some (?) manner.

5. I have added Kelpie Wilson who asked a question about alternative char-making approaches to which this might be an appropriate answer - in the sense of being able to get more char per person-hour and per equipment dollar. Elsen chose this approach for those reasons.

6. I have added "biochar-production" as the list most likely to have members having this interest now. (also managed by Tom Miles and his daughter Erin). Maybe someone on that list will have a good response.

7. The best recent lengthy report I know of on this large scale (non-stove) char production topic is found at:
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/pubs/1107017.pdf
I have also added the main author, Professor Manuel Garcia-Perez, to acknowledge his good work. He has noted (pp78-81) a commercial group in Australia that is using this approach in a mobile unit - very good news. Others interested in the economics of char-making should also look at his report found at:
http://faculty.ses.wsu.edu/WorkingPapers/Yoder/WP2009-25.pdf

(and there is a separate shorter published peer-reviewed paper)

8. Please say hello to Dr. Yury for us.

Ron