[Stoves] HEDON Newsletter (23/12/2011)

HEDON Household Energy Network hedon at hedon.info
Fri Dec 23 12:36:17 CST 2011

Welcome to the December issue of the HEDON newsletter.
In this issue:
HEDON features of the month
Latest News from around the World
Events
Jobs
Courses
Offers
Requests

HEDON features of the month

Season's Greetings from HEDON

>From everyone at HEDON Household Energy Network, we wish you a very joyous holiday season and a prosperous New Year! We look forward to what 2012 will bring.

LondonRIG New Year's Meeting

December saw the return of the London Regional Interest Group. A big thank you to Seena Rejal (Eight19 <http://www.eight19.com/> ), Jonathan Steel (Energy Aid <http://www.energyaid.org/> ) and Dick Jones (CarbonAided <http://www.carbonaided.com/> ), for giving such great talks.

The next LondonRIG will be held on January the 18th. To discover what happened at the Festive Meeting <http://hedon.info/LondonRIG_15Dec2011> , and to find out how you can participate in the upcoming New Year's meeting <http://hedon.info/LondonRIG_18Jan2012>  visit: http://hedon.info/LondonRIG

GVEP Featured on Both UK and Kenyan Mainstream Media

The UK's BBC Radio and Kenya's NTV have both featured GVEP this month, interviewing their Africa Regional Manager local energy entrepreneurs and showcasing their range of successful climate change mitigation projects.

To read more and view the NTV Kenya appearance please visit: http://hedon.info/article2671
And to listen to the BBC Radio show visit: http://hedon.info/article2674

For more information, and to submit a paper please visit: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/lmh/call-for-papers.aspx

News

Wood Smoke Now a Major Northwest Air Polluter <http://hedon.info/article2678>

Published: Tue 20 of Dec., 2011 12:20 UTC

The warning label on the wrapping of neatly split firewood is one we're more accustomed to seeing on cigarettes or heavy-duty chemicals: "known... to cause cancer, birth defects or reproductive harm."

Centre for Development Finance Create 'Energy Atlas' for India <http://hedon.info/article2676>

Published: Mon 19 of Dec., 2011 12:51 UTC

Explore the fuel consumption and expenditure patterns at the household level across India's 28 states and between urban and rural markets

Philips Supplies Healthy Cookstoves and Solar Lighting in South Africa <http://hedon.info/article2675>

Published: Fri 16 of Dec., 2011 16:20 UTC

Royal Philips Electronics has supplied sustainable cooking stoves and solar-driven LED home lighting for 200 households across the South African Ilembe district.

GVEP Featured by UK Mainstream Radio on Climate Change Mitigation <http://hedon.info/article2674>

Published: Wed 14 of Dec., 2011 15:26 UTC

The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) this week featured GVEP as an organisation supported by UK Aid, with a range of successful climate change mitigation projects.

Lack of Quality Undermines Biogas Industry <http://hedon.info/article2673>

Published: Wed 14 of Dec., 2011 14:59 UTC

Biogas technology is an alternative energy source for cooking and lighting for farmers, who in Kenya make up 80% of the rural population.

Durban Meeting Hears Short-Term Plan to Cool Planet <http://hedon.info/article2672>

Published: Wed 14 of Dec., 2011 10:34 UTC

It could be our last chance. It could halve the rate of global warming, starting tomorrow, while saving more than two million lives a year and boosting food production in some of the world's poorest countries.

Renewables Make Prime-Time on Kenya’s Mainstream Media <http://hedon.info/article2671>

Published: Fri 09 of Dec., 2011 10:52 UTC

With the staggering prices of traditional energy options in East Africa pushing the population into a corner, renewable energy alternatives have become a hot topic. GVEP’s Africa Regional Manager was invited this week by NTV Kenya to reveal a growing renewable energy market.

UN Agency and Italian Energy Company Partner to Combat Hunger and Climate Change <http://hedon.info/article2669>

Published: Thu 08 of Dec., 2011 10:51 UTC

The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) and the Italian energy company 'Enel' form new partnership to combat hunger, malnutrition and carbon emissions through the use of ‘green’ stoves and solar panels.

Solar Products Give Respite to Poor Communities <http://hedon.info/article2668>

Published: Wed 07 of Dec., 2011 12:58 UTC

Solar kits built by disabled people will help to reduce poverty and climate change in El Salvador.

Igniting Change, the GACC <http://hedon.info/article2667>

Published: Wed 07 of Dec., 2011 12:22 UTC

The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves releases a comprehensive strategy to "save lives, empower women, combat climate change by transforming the market for clean cookstoves and fuels."

Rwandan Prison Uses Biogas to Cut Costs <http://hedon.info/article2666>

Published: Tue 06 of Dec., 2011 08:49 UTC

Rwanda’s Nsinda prison is now running on renewable energy via the waste of nearly 8,000 inmates and cow manure; an initiative that will eventually reach Rwandan homes.

New Initiative Supports Women’s Cooperative on Biofuel Production <http://hedon.info/article2665>

Published: Fri 02 of Dec., 2011 10:11 UTC

Three organisations have launched the new project “Fuel from Waste: Demonstrating the Feasibility of Locally Produced Ethanol for Household Cooking in Addis Ababa”.

Ennovent fund Renewable Energy  <http://hedon.info/article2664> & Lighting to Off-Grid India

Published: Thu 01 of Dec., 2011 16:28 UTC

The Sustainable Enterprise Fund, an impact venture fund managed by Ennovent, has made its first investment of an undisclosed amount in Barefoot Power.

Creating Access to Affordable Energy Solutions <http://hedon.info/article2663>

Published: Thu 01 of Dec., 2011 15:57 UTC

Nuru Energy is making its portable, rechargeable light-emitting diode (LED) lights available to up to 1.8 million rural households in Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, and Tanzania.

Africa Industrialization Day Highlights Importance of Energy Access <http://hedon.info/article2659>

Published: Wed 30 of Nov., 2011 14:02 UTC

The UN's Africa Industrialization Day 2011 stressed the need for access to clean, modern energy services to contribute to achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), and particularly to reducing poverty in the region.

Wood Fires Fuel Climate Change, says UN <http://hedon.info/article2658>

Published: Wed 30 of Nov., 2011 11:08 UTC

Log burning and diesel vehicles two of the biggest culprits in developed world in generating pollution causing black carbon, which, in large quanitities causes short term climate change.

StoveTeam International November Newsletter <http://hedon.info/article2657>

Published: Wed 30 of Nov., 2011 10:29 UTC

Volunteer Trip a Success: November started out with the announcement of Nancy's receipt of the prestigious Purpose Prize, and only a few days later a volunteer team left for Honduras.

Members of the European Parliament Visit Kenya <http://hedon.info/article2654>

Published: Thu 24 of Nov., 2011 16:56 UTC

In September 2011, three Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) travelled to Kenya to see the reality of energy poverty, and the impact of energy access, first hand, as part of the Energy for All 2030 project.

Darfur Stoves Project: Brewing Hope in Ethiopia <http://hedon.info/article2650>

Published: Fri 18 of Nov., 2011 09:50 UTC

Laying the groundwork in Ethiopia, Debra Stein reports from the field.

Nigeria Heading for Total Darkness <http://hedon.info/article2649>

Published: Fri 18 of Nov., 2011 09:33 UTC

It is only a matter of days before the entire country is thrown into total darkness, following a strike embarked on by workers in the Nigerian power sector.

Events

LondonRIG New Year's Meeting <http://hedon.info/article2679>

Date:
Location:
The Duke of York, London

Conference on  <http://hedon.info/article2628> "Low-cost, electricity generating heat engines for rural areas"

Date:
2 - 3 April 2012
Location:
Nottingham, UK

World Clean Technology Summit <http://hedon.info/article2661>

Date:
26 - 28 September 2012
Location:
Kampala, Uganda

Jobs

Chief Operating Officer, Wello <http://hedon.info/article2670>

End Date: Thu 09 of Feb., 2012

Location:
Rajasthan, India
Role Description:
A smart, creative thinker who likes challenges, excels at finding innovative solutions, has a great sense of humor and passion for Wello's mission.

Courses

Master of Science in Energy Policy and Climate <http://hedon.info/article2651>

End Date: Sun 08 of Jan., 2012