[Stoves] thermoelectric cooking pot now available

Charlie Sellers csellers42 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 27 16:57:59 CST 2011

Not long ago the list was alerted to the pending commercialization of an electricity generating (via a thermoelectric module) cooking pot for the developing world - the Tellurex WorldPot - but I have not yet been able to prove that it is available for sale or testing.

But another one is TES NewEnergy's Hatsuden-Nabe, for sale in the U.S. here:
http://theepicenter.com/cgi/order.cgi?page=camping_hiking_and_backpacking_accessories.html&cart_id=%%cart_id%%

There are several videos there, and I recommend the folding biomass stove related one (pot demo starting at 3:20), since the pot specific one just demos the charging process using a boring propane camp stove.  But that one does monitor the output and show an interesting detail when they demonstrate an increase in power when additional (cold) water is added to the pot during "cooking", since that results in a greater temperature differential across the TEG.

The pot produces up to ~2 watts at 5 VDC, the only output connector is a USB one, and it costs $USD 250 - no mention of how much stove firepower it needs, but I imagine that it is related to the volume of water in the pot (but if too little is used then you are just producing electricity, not cooking food or sterilizing water?).  Expect an irreversible disaster if the pot ever boils dry, since solders that have typically been used in TEG modules melt not far above 200 C.

Details on experiences in the developing world is quite scarce at this point - I could only find preliminary information and promotional videos from Uganda and Haiti, where it is called Wonder Pot and the manufacturer seems to be responsible for these efforts:
http://micro-power.jimdo.com/
A 12 watt version is due out soon, three stone fire enabled phone charging and LED lighting are demonstrated in the videos (a fan assisted cook stove would be an interesting twist, requiring as little as ~1 watt), and no one is talking yet about how much additional biomass people might be tempted to use due to the addition of this new technology to their lives.

Charlie

While I was roaming the web for details I came upon another a similar product:
https://www.thepowerpot.com/

that is not yet for sale.  It is rated at 8 watts and appears to target the modern backpackers, who might tend to use it with well behaved camping stoves.