[Stoves] [biochar] allAfrica.com: Africa: Biochar - Unfulfilled Promises in Cameroon

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Wed Dec 28 14:06:19 CST 2011

Lists and ccs:

See few inserts below.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Miles" <tmiles at trmiles.com>
To: crispinpigott at gmail.com, "Discussion of biomass cooking stoves" <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:58:25 AM
Subject: Re: [Stoves] [biochar] allAfrica.com: Africa: Biochar - Unfulfilled Promises in Cameroon

Crispin,

Good analysis.
[RWL: Sorry, I have to disagree on most of Crispin's following analysis being good. I justify my disagreement on "good" below]

Universal remedy. Biochar suffers from big expectations that can be
regularly shattered. If biochar is applied in suitable circumstances in
proportion to need then the results are likely to be more encouraging and
may be within the reach of small scale production.
[RWL: I think Tom here means small scale production with no carbon credits. If we take global warming seriously (and Crispin denies anthropogenic causation last I heard, so I don't expect him to agree it is "seriously" reasonable to happen) then we should expect to pay for our past pollution and numbers like $100/tonne char ($30/tonne CO2) are going to look pretty attractive to both small and large scale application. We are talking morality here, especially as regards the small stove user - and how those of us in developed countries owe something to wood-stove users that they can supply in larger measure of we pay up what we owe.]

Application rate. Australian attempts to produce a "synthetic terra preta"
may be helpful. According to Steven Joseph a mix of something like 1/3
biochar with 1/3 clay and 1/3 nutrient source (e.g. poultry litter) can be
used to make an "organo mineral complex" which gives results when applied at
substantially lower rates than usually discussed. Blend of 10-20% biochar
with compost may also reduce the amount of biochar needed to give good
agronomic results. This can be done at a garden plot scale.

Biochar is clearly work in progress but there are many applications that
have shown positive results. There are many reasons to keep working on it.

[RWL: Agree with all above except as I have added distinctions. I ask readers to compare what Tom is saying ("many reasons") with the very negative view of Biochar given next by Crispin (even though his first paragraph below is not as negative as the rest).
We can add to the good application thought from Steven Joseph that there is also enthusiasm for adding certain rock dusts to the mix that are carbon-negative (create carbonates over time). This is a favorite message to us from David Yarrow. Also note that the Biochar mix doesn't have to be applied to the whole field - as discussed below.

More below]

Tom