[Stoves] [biochar] allAfrica.com: Africa: Biochar-UnfulfilledPromises in Cameroon

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu Dec 29 19:27:56 CST 2011

Dear George

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Riegg Gambia" <icecool at qanet.gm>
To: "Discussion of biomass cooking stoves" <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Stoves] [biochar] allAfrica.com: Africa:
Biochar-UnfulfilledPromises in Cameroon

> Hi Kevin,
>
> One question - are you saying that these 2 categories you're suggesting
> are mutually exclusive?

# Yes. The Stove User either: 1: Wants biochar, or 2: Does not want Biochar.

>> Should there be two fundamental categories for "Improved Stoves" as
>> follows:
>> 1: "Efficient Stoves with Low Indoor Air Pollution"
>> and
>> 2: "Stoves Producing Biochar"
>
> Not being a technical guy myself but helping to run a pilot in The Gambia
> all I know is what our target market wants:
> 1) Pay less for fuel for the same result
> 2) Pay less for fuel for the same result
> 3) to whatever....... same again

# OK, since the User does not want biochar, then any Stove producing biochar
is inappropriate for his wants. He thus should not buy or build a stove
producing biochar.

> Way down on the list:
> Have a good stove that is easy to work
> Have a good stove that is affordable
> Have a good stove that is safe to use
> Bring health benefits (IAP)
> Help saving trees
> Reduce GHG emmissions (whatever they are - in their perception)

# These are all good and reasonable objectives for a "good, efficient
stove", when  biochar is not wanted.. A stove producing biochar when it is
not wanted is a bad stove for that specific application. On the other hand,
if biochar was wanted, then a stove that did not produce biochar would be a
"bad stove.".

Best wishes,

Kevin Chisholm

> Cheers
> George from the Jungle - well.... sort of

>>> 20 tons per hectare. This is the same range I used in my calculations
>>> for the stove-produced char earlier this year. The indications are that