[Stoves] Jatrohpha seeds in TLUD stoves - at ETHOS

Paul S. Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 1 11:36:35 CST 2011

Tom and all,

Thanks for your observations (below).

The NON-secret to successful combustion of whole Jatropha seeds in the
Reed Campstove (TLUD-FA) (with forced air) is the blocking of 4 or 5
of the 11 holes for entry of primary air (in the sides of the bottom
of the fuel chamber).  I blocked them with short sheet-metal screws
(not a permanent change).

REASON:  As the pyrolysis front moves downward, the heat not only
pyrolyses the biomass (solids becoming charcoal) but also vaporizes
the oil in the seeds (liquid to vapor does not yield charcoal).  The
primary air must be restricted because of the high percentage of oil
content (usually 30 to 40%) means that relatively little heat will
generate/liberate substantially larger volumes of combustible gases.
Otherwise the supply of secondary air is insufficient for the
combustion of the gases.

Remember:  TLUDs are gas-burning stoves that make their own gases
"upon demand" by the pyrolyis front moving down in the fuel chamber
(that can also be called the "reactor" or "gas generator").

Another Jatropha-seed effort showm at ETHOS is the fine work by Pamoja
and Jet City Stoveworks (JCS).  They demonstrated great progress with
a TLUD-ND (natural draft).  They are the initiators of the J-seed
stove efforts, and I am in a supportive role.

--
Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Known to some as:  Dr. TLUD    Doc    Professor
Phone (USA): 309-452-7072   SKYPE: paultlud   Email: psanders at ilstu.edu