[Stoves] Bicycle Thresher/Mill/Chopper

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 12:56:36 CST 2011

Dear Jessica

I think from an engineering complexity point of view, there is no pressing
reason to use chains and sprockets to operate a chopper. The speed is well
matched to a human leg's reciprocating rate. For that reason it is likely
the best answer (cost, reliability, effectiveness) will be a treadle powered
machine.

The operator can be reclining or standing, but there is no absolute demand
for rotational speed for a chopping operation as there is for grinding and
shelling.

Treadles are simple, cheap and fixable. They can also run when very dirty.
Are there perhaps some lessons to be learned from the treadle pumping
designs popping up around the world?

+++++++++

Richard, Crispin, and all:

I'd love to see a bicycle-powered machine developed, if it were feasible,
like the ones on this website below.  I think there is a great need for this
in the villages without power.  If power is available then of course there
can be another option for those who have power.  Is anyone using something
similar already?

http://www.mayapedal.org/machines.html

Thank you!

Jessica De Clerck