[Stoves] Powerful Little Gasifier

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 13:09:50 CST 2011

Dear Andrew

What a great idea: 'grog'.

Apart from bashing up the chunks (which might have hardened) passing ceramic
marbles around the system could do some drying as well.

I wonder if there is a long term need for heat in the oil processing plant?
The tea estates uses masses of wood for drying the leaves and are always
looking for fuel. There may be a market there for seed cake.

It makes a lot of difference if the cake will harden when exposed to air. If
it is broken up and dried, maybe there is no problem at all to use it in a
TLUD or ELCD (end-lit cross-draft) fire.

I hope to try some goat dung in an ELCD fire in February. It would have
characteristics that are at least similar and very unlike wood or coal or
charcoal.

Thanks

Crispin

Hi Masseurs Miles, Pigott,

  Please note the question a stover asked a few weeks ago was about Jatropha
seed PRESS-CAKE, which may be very different than whole seeds.

 I described a fluidized-bed cherry pit combustor a few years ago on the
gasification forum:
Cherry pits circulate like boiling water when a bed is fluidized by a degree
of higher velocity air from beneath the bed.
The same effect is seen either when the pits are cold, or at pyrolizing
temperature.
There seems to be a certain critical velocity where the pits begin to
circulate.

 Someday I shall work out correct free-board, and amount of over-fire air,
to prevent the hideous black smoke that issues from the gasifier maw.
To sustain reaction for hours, cherry pits roll into the maw; similar to Dr
Reed's cool animation on The BEF website:

http://www.woodgas.com/gasification.htm

Click the animation start button and watch those pits GO (in a down draft
gasifier)... I am entertained easily with simple things...

Pits happily act like ball-bearings in a feed system.
To utilize a paste-like mass left over from mechanical seed-oil extraction,
an extrusion of the waste paste could be metered into the maw for
co-combustion with pits.
Most places in the world do not have cherry pits. So a special refractory
"grog" could be heated, and circulated to burn gooey pastes alone.

Please wear eye protection when gasifying stuff,

Andrew Schofield
Renewable Fuel Systems