[Stoves] briquette air feed

Kobus ventfory at iafrica.com
Wed Jan 5 15:17:14 CST 2011

Rok, Andrew, Crispin, etc,

Seeing Rok's efforts in getting to grips with biomass briquette
gasification brought back many memories of myself tinkering with cans in
the middle of the night - so one can see those blue flames right?  The
results of my toil is contained in this inconspicuous little report on
the bionergylists:
http://www.bioenergylists.org/stovesdoc/Stanley/BriqGassstove.htm

I don't think many bothered reading it and if they did, it probably
never dawned on them to suggest I use the rocket stove principle, well
done Rok for taking the lead there.  You are on the right track.  I felt
there was a need to insulate the chamber, and I did this by using what
we have plenty in reserve here: Riser tubes.  Easy to cut and make holes
through.  Always wondered how one would take it down to the village
level.  Perhaps some of my suggestions mentioned around primary and
secondary air could be of use to you.  My conclusion reached were
something along the line of keep the flame burning in a space above the
briquette (which is problematic when adding another briquette on top)
and heat transfer to pot is super important.  I think the rocket solved
these problems, but increasing the density of the briquette should also
be considered.

I introduced the rocket stove principle to participants at the Briquette
Producers Conference in Arusha Tanzania recently and out of all the
stoves at our disposal (brought along), the clay liner type rocket
burned briquettes more cleanly with little PM observed.  Brief overview
of my experience and a photo collage can be seen here:
http://vuthisa.com/2010/11/19/briquette-producers-workshop-arusha-tanzania-2010/

Keep up the good work Rok.