[Stoves] Heat / cook stove

Darren Hill mail at vegburner.co.uk
Fri Jan 7 06:43:06 CST 2011

Thank you everyone for all responses - most helpful.

I should have made clear that really I need to be able to burn sawn logs
and branches as sometimes this is my only fuel option.

On 01/01/2011 22:57, ajheggie at gmail.com. wrote:
>> catch a fair bit of the excess heat in the heat storage.
> What sort of heat storage?

I'm going to use a tank of water for heat storage and have a heat
exchanger which I can place on/off the stove.  This needs to be
relatively low so that I can use a thermosyphon effect to transfer the
heat up into the tank.

> Any heating of this should be well separated by
> insulation from the combustion area which should be kept hot.
I'll bare that in mind
> too much cross cutting. The little Jotul 602 I have had for 30+ years has
> almost exactly these dimensions...

I'm familiar with the Jotul design although must confess not its entire
working principle.

I found this page which has a diagram which basically matches the design
I'm now making in my head - sloping grate to help the fire/embers build
up in front of the mouth to the combustion chamber.

The Resolute Acclaim.

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Downdraft_Stove_Operation/

I was thinking of having the primary air coming in low down on the front
of the stove and the combustion chamber insulated via a two skinned
wall, with air gap.  I guess this air gap could be used to pre heat the
secondary air which would be drawn down from a valve outside at the top
of the stove.

"There is a big problem with loading large amounts of fuel, downdraught and
tlud get around most of these but the type of layout you suggests will
almost certainly tend to thermal runaway with large loads and dry wood. "

*Is it not possible to keep the rate of burn in check by regulating the amount of primary air?*   *Or is this not desirable?
*

The other thing thats been bugging me is that for about 20 years now I
have seen clean burn stoves offered for sale.  I've never seen one or
seen how they work but the picture show a glass door with flames going
up....

I think this shows the function

http://www.woodheat.org/technology/noncatalytic.gif

I dont quite understand by what mechanism some of the gases are drawn
back down from the front top, inside the front door, back down through
the fire.  I guess this is however not an idea design for good combustion.

Thanks again everyone

Darren

P.S.
I just found this page about the SEDORE which has a nice cut away diagram
http://www.sedorestoves.com/easterncanadaabout.html