[Stoves] change heading - stove tests

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Fri Jan 7 16:53:44 CST 2011

Dear Crispin,

I'm thinking; Ideally;  When testing biomass stoves what we want is the
info between  - START at once the fuel has been ignited and conditions
we want to look at have been achieved (low power, full power) then
measurements taken until an agreed TIME has passed when the tests ENDS.
Problem is getting accurate measurements of the energy in the fire box
at the START point and again at the END point.

So we measure the energy of the fuel (water, biomass) we place in the
fire box and energy we remove (water, biomass, torified wood, char, ash
) from the fire box to determine the energy used from the fuel during
the time of testing. The starting fuel and, especially, the ending fuel
has a lot of room for error.  If we ran a cord of wood through Pauls
TLUD without stopping the error percent at the ends would be much
smaller than when we just run a few Kg of fuel. Thats my point. We still
need the effects of loading fuel included in the test and longer runs
would help average this also. No more failed tests because a little dust
went up the stack one time. That because longer runs one needs to add
fuel lots of times that average the particle emission value etc..

One might think we could better determine thermal efficiency of a stove
using a gas heat source rather than biomass fuel because that is a
constant controlled heat supply. But we can't because where to you point
the flame(?).. Since different biomass fuels have different burn
patterns the fuel needs be included and the fuel type used specified.
To reduce the tallest noise peaks when testing stoves I think longer
runs and fuel characteristics described (when we know how to do that)
are most important. Once that is done we look for the next highest peaks
to reduce and that may be your .

"If the losses from the water (radiation) the pot
(radiation, convection, conduction and the lid (ditto) are large compared
with the heat lost from water evaporation then the calculated result is in
(large) error."

It sounds like what you are doing (many hours per run and using coal(?)
as a constant fuel)  is just what I am talking about. And now its time
to look at radiation, convection etc.as you are. Not so with other stove
testing.

Frank (on his soap box)