[Stoves] Controlling wood moisture content for stove testing in a lab

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Thu Jan 13 14:03:48 CST 2011

Dear James and stovers,

I have placed biomass samples in a plastic bag with varying amounts of
water and incubated at 25 deg. for a week plus. Then determined the
moisture content by calculating. Not sure if an exact moisture content
can be made to happen with this method. I just plot results vs percent
moisture and calculate what it would be at the percent moisture I want.
I would make the bags of biomass of the same size sample I want to use
because I'm not convinced the moisture gets evenly distributed in the
sample. So separately I determine a moisture of the lot. Then take a
known weigh of as-received sample and add the water. Then after a time
remove the biomass and weigh and calculate the moisture in the biomass.
Some water stays in the bag.  And use the entire sample for the test.

Regards
Frank