[Stoves] Controlling wood moisture content for stove testing in a lab

Jetter.Jim at epamail.epa.gov Jetter.Jim at epamail.epa.gov
Thu Jan 13 16:44:39 CST 2011

James and All,

For our stove testing, we purchased one large, freshly cut "green" log.
We cut the log into the desired size for fuel wood.  We allowed the wood
to air dry until it reached the desired moisture content.  Then we
packed half of the wood into air-tight drums and stored the drums in a
freezer to prevent mold from growing on the wood.  We allowed the other
half to air dry until it reached equilibrium with ambient humidity.  The
low-moisture wood was 10% average moisture content (wet basis), and the
high-moisture wood (in the freezer) was 26% average moisture content
(wet basis).  We measured moisture content using the oven-drying method.
We removed high-moisture wood from the freezer, as needed, and thawed it
out to ambient temperature (inside a sealed plastic bag) before using it
for testing stoves.  We measured moisture content of the wood on each
day of testing.  This method worked well for us, and hope it might be
helpful.

Jim

Message: 1