[Stoves] old patent-paper about a saw-dust stoves

Marc Pare mpare at gatech.edu
Sun Jan 16 21:09:57 CST 2011

I plodded through the bioenergylists archives looking for sawdust stove
discussions a few months ago in the hopes of finding information the would
be helpful for natural draft rice husk stoves. I believe the most fruitful
thing to search for is "WWII sawdust stove"

I only found one class of design: an outer cylinder and inner tube. You
light the sawdust from the bottom and the inner tube draws air to sustain
the combustion. It is possible to just use a stick and pack the sawdust
instead.

There are a few stoves in A Woodstove
Compendium<http://www.appropedia.org/A_Woodstove_Compendium>that
operate on this principle. I had some Bolivians draw me such a design
when they visited our group in Atlanta. Apparently they are rather commonly
used for drying/curing operations.

It's not hard at all to get them going. In fact, we melted a few of our
sheet metal cylinders because they would go out of control. Made some nice
looking sculptures as a result.

Has anyone had different experiences? I was not able to find anything recent
on sawdust (and other fine bio-material) combustion in cook stoves.

Marc Paré
B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology | Université de Technologie de Compiègne

my cv, etc. | http://notwandering.com