[Stoves] old patent-paper about a saw-dust stoves

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Mon Jan 17 11:55:51 CST 2011

Marc,

Thanks for the link. You can find three of the authors at the photos I
posted from the 2004 ETHOS meeting in Seattle where Mark Bryden and dean
Still invited Prasad, Visser and Verhaart.

http://www.bioenergylists.org/stovesdoc/ethos/ethos_jan_04.htm

Larry Winiarski is also pictured. Larry adapted the feeding concept of the
old ("Conifer") sawdust burners to continuously side feed a rocket stove
similar to his self feeding chumal (ETHOS 2005)

Conifer http://www.hernironworks.com/conifer.html

He also used the concept for burning risk husks to fire boilers at a tea
plantation.

http://www.bioenergylists.org/stovesdoc/ethos/ethos_jan_05.html

The ARTI Vivek can burn sawdust.

http://www.samuchit.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemi
d=3

http://www.arti-india.org/

How about the Mayon Turbo by REAP?

http://www.reap-canada.com/bio_and_climate_3_3_1.htm

Richard described a sawdust stoves in 2004 at:

http://listserv.repp.org/pipermail/stoves_listserv.repp.org/2004-November/00
0374.html

I first learned about this stove in the late 1970s from one of our clients.
We had designed a circular portable sawmill that became popular in
developing countries. (http://www.mightymitesawmills.com/ ) when you square
a log you get slabs and edgings, sawdust and lumber. In developing countries
villagers used the slabs and edgings from the mill for firewood or to build
houses. The wide kerf (width of cut) of the circular saw converts about 20%
of the log to sawdust. We always hoped to find efficient ways to convert the
waste materials to heat and power. A salesman returning from Africa
described villagers burning sawdust from the mill in what he called a "Ghana
stove", which was essentially what Richard described. My notes from building
and testing the stove December 21, 1979 remind me that it was difficult to
get a consistent burn or control air throughout the burn. Measuring air
flows and analyzing gases was also a challenge.

I hope to see many of you at ETHOS in Seattle later this month.

http://www.vrac.iastate.edu/ethos/conference.php

Regards,

Tom Miles