[Stoves] Burning saw dust in TLUD stove

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Tue Jan 18 15:32:25 CST 2011

I also saw the sawdust stove made out of a 5 gallon/~20 liter paint bucket for use in the kilns at  Dedza Pottery  Malawi in the mid 90's.
Same as PAals observed construction:
Mold made with
• a center vertical plug:   A 3"ø   stick tapering to 2.5" (75mm tapering to 62mm) over its ~16" (40mm) length. (stick is smooth to to touch and soaked with hot wax which is then rubbed in to make sick  easy to extract fomr compacted sawdust...
• a radial plug for insertion on horizontal through corresponding pail side wall hole about 2" (50mm) up from the pail bottom. This stick was  about same diameter and taper but only about 8" (200mm) in length. (Treat same way as above)
 pail with some tape to side wall for easy removal

On another matter entirely, the search for the perfect carbonising layer for gassification, is it necessary to always to think on the horizontal...? there are fluidised beds but I'm just   wondering if this is not what we are see in  the charring of the  central -usually but not essentially- vertical core of the briquette--a core which expands  outward through combustion of it own wall. Is it too much of a stretch to say that, as the spent layer is spalded off to the ash pit beneath, exposing fresh pre charred material, it is behaving like a fluidised bed of sorts ?

Richard Stanley