[Stoves] Air power Re: Burning saw dust in TLUD stove

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 17:39:57 CST 2011

Dear Richard

>On dedza pottery you must have gottn up there more recently. Greatly stop
enroute to from Lilongwe, eh ?

It is an interesting place and the gift shop is amazing. I stayed there only
once at the B&B.

The makes proper refractory linings for kilns which, interestingly enough,
are not really up to the beating that stoves offer (because they are not
made for rapid temperature cycling).

There is literally a mountain of sawdust across the road from a mill.

>On stone crushing I have to wonder why a new form of post quake
architecture has not evolved yet

There is certainly a lot of talk about it. J Currelley says a lot of the
damage and deaths were caused by poor quality concrete, in part from a weak
host rock and in part from lousy concrete making skills. The Georgia Tech
guys found that they can double the strength of the concrete by mixing am
making it properly which is a Good Start.

>...Homes built up entirely out of rubble removed ex crushing or with a
minimum of same. Probably has eh ?

It seems the preference is to make new blocks and pours. There isn't much
you can do with a large cracked and folded slab of steel reinforced concrete
except reduce it to <19mm aggregate.

John broke a few things getting the machines set up (sheared off pins) and
now it seems they are ready to rock. As every home needs a roof and a stove,
the connection seems obvious: make as much of the stove as possible from
crushed rubble. Perhaps substantial outdoor cooking stoves with inserts.

They like large pots and there are so many existing large charcoal stoves,
they can be set into air-controlling structures that cost only little to
make on site. Jobs.recycling.fuel efficiency, maybe a fume hood - the whole
kit and caboodle.

Time to be imaginative.