[Stoves] Air power Re: Burning saw dust in TLUD stove

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 21:03:38 CST 2011

Dear Richard and Kevin and Robert

I found the description confusing. I also thought that he was describing a
top lit updraft stove with some air provided from below.

There is a company in Turkey called SILVER that makes TLUD stoves and has
been doing so since 1958. I am in fact reprocessing a test done in December
on one of them, not the smallest version. It peaks three times at 24 kW
during the burn. It behaves badly and needs better secondary air which I
found easy to add. They it was really good.  I think they had never had a
test done before, certainly not one with gases and PM.  Lots of potential
with small modifications.

So TLUD is not all that new I guess. It keeps getting rediscovered because
it is a good system at least for some applications. In UB not being able to
refuel it until it is nearly out is a major disadvantage.

Richard re the crusher:

>.but why such an investment in thickness across the full diameter of the
flywheel.

Cost, strength and no machining. It is CNC flame cut. The mounting flange
and handle holes are drilled later but that's all.

>Wouldnt it be far better to thin out the inside and fatten up the outside.

Then it would have to be cast. No way.

The MV squared rule  has me thinking that you want the maximum percentage of
available mass at the largest radius where it is moving the fastest...There
is a far more elegant way to say that eh ?

Elegance means efficacious simplicity, not necessarily least quantity of
material.

>Did anyone think about making up a water tight ring chamber  with lots of
baffles for filling with water as the mass ?

Yes. Too expensive and will definitely leak after it is dropped a few times.
Unrepairable in the field.

>.easier on the hands when you hit  really solid bits of rock concrete or
steel rbar...etc.

The hands feel nothing. The 2 x 85 kg flywheels crush anything in their
path. It will crush tombstone granite to 5mm chips. I have seen it crush
road spalls with a Treton Impact value of 8 which is too hard for a
commercial crushing operation. The rocks explode 3 metres into the air when
they finally yield!

> Now don'tchya just love this kind of armchair defacto critique ?

That is where many good ideas come from. Most fields of engineering
(including stoves) are filled with 'thou shalts' and 'shalt nots'. Many an
off the wall comment inspires a new direction, unrestrained by the
'obscuring dust of acquired knowledge'.

The machine was developed by Nigel and Yours Truly P-P in 1995 after two
years of theoretical work and chasing up one failed avenue. The plan was to
increase income and limit eye and hand injuries while still operating
manually. There are a few hundred of them around.

Institutional stove projects (there is one coming up in Namibia) need
aggregate for bases and slabs and this is one way to cut transport costs a
lot. I like the fact the money goes to labour rather than imported
equipment, maintenance and fuel.