[Stoves] Questions on coal-burning possible TLUD

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Thu Jan 20 12:18:01 CST 2011

Crispin,

You make an important point that the Global Alliance is looking at a wide
variety of fuels. When you look at the target - 100 million stoves by 2020 -
and the supply and demand for health, energy, environment, technology, cash,
and fuel (all related to domestic cookstoves) you have to look at all fuel
options. You have to include renewable - solar, biomass - and non renewable
- fossil derived fuels such as coal.

When you look at the time that it takes to scale production and
dissemination of cooking devices from an established base to the target
market you need to look at all fuel options. A stove business takes about
three years to get off the ground when starting with a proven design. Five
years is more realistic. Add 3-5 years of product development and we have
6-10 years for a new design. In order to reach the 100 million goal by 2020
we need to expand current production and distribution by ten-fold in nine
years. Again you need to include fossil fuels in the mix to meet the
supply-demand in certain areas.

Is the demand urban or rural. It is likely that the greater demand is urban.
That would push you to fuels that are easily distributed in the urban
environment. It is likely to be a mix of fuels. Coal fits in certain areas.
Why not a multi-fuel TLUD?

Tom