[Stoves] (no subject)

Boston Nyer bostonnyer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 14:39:10 CST 2011

Hi Richard,

I have a related question to this discussion, which I think is interesting.

At CU, we have a Jatropha project that you fielded some questions about a
few months ago.  As I'm sure you've heard, Jatropha seedcake does not burn
well, not even close.  So, one of our questions now is:  what can we do with
this waste stream this is both useful and desirable?

One approach we will test is to carbonize the material and for biochar
briquettes (and a water filter media, etc.).  However, I wholeheartedly
agree with your sentiment on biochar briquettes.  What is your opinion if
the ag-waste doesn't burn well normally?  It still seems a bit contrived,
eh?

I'm looking forward to hearing your perspective.

Cheers,
Boston

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Richard Stanley
<rstanley at legacyfound.org>wrote:

> Jessica,
>  Me again, I answered some of these questions to you in a post directly to
> you (as that one  came directly from you) --a few minutes ago, but
> let me add a few comments in reponse to your other questions here...( am
> responding in-kind below...)
>
> On Jan 13, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Jessica De Clerck wrote:
>
>  Hello,
>
> I am looking for some insight into an array of issues around fuel
> briquettes and stoves.  I apologize for the long list!  I am hoping
> Crispin, Dr. TLUD, Richard and others can answer some of these.
>
> *Burning Stalks*
> At Stove Camp 2010, we used TLUDs to burn what I recall were maize stalks
> in Dr. Anderson’s TLUD. It worked great.  However, if maize or sugar cane
> stalks can be burned for fuel, why are people not already using this fuel in
> three stone fires, or are they?  I did not see this in Uganda, but I do
> not know about Haiti or elsewhere (where I will be working soon).  I
> understand that a TLUD or other stoves would do a better job of cleaning up
> emissions. -But if a person had access to free fuel in their fields, I would
> think they must have a good reason for not burning it, even in an open fire.
>
> Does the fact that it burns quicker than wood deter people because it
> requires more effort to feed it constantly into the stove?  Or does it not
> burn as cleanly as wood?
>
> *Consumption Rate*
> Does burning fuel in a TLUD or other stove slow down the rate at which fuel
> burns as compared with fuel burned in an open fire?  It seems to me it
> would because the airflow into the fire would be more controlled in a stove.
>
> *Density*
> This also brings up the question of the density of a fuel briquette.  What
> difference does density make?  It seems like we pay a lot of attention to
> this, but to me it seems the only difference is that the less dense the
> briquette the quicker it will burn. Does a less dense briquette burn hotter
> (assuming identical material is used in each briquette)?
>
> It burns quicker but not necessarly hotter. Density is roughly equivalent
> to duration assuming same blend and stove . Greaster density also equates
> (ex any special starters) to harder start with above assumptions also in
> effect. You 'pays yer money and takes yer choice', eh ?
>

> *Briquette Stoves*
> I have recently built another RokStove or Holey Rocket –the side fed rocket
> stove for holey briquettes out of clay and sawdust.  I made it to the best
> specifications I could come up with after considering rocket stove
> principles, which was 9” long, 15” tall, and 5” in diameter both in the
> feeding area and combustion chamber. Once the stove has been fired, these
> dimensions will have shrunk approximately 10%.   This will leave a gap
> between the stove and my 4”x 2” holey (1” hole) briquettes.  I would like
> [...]

Boston Nyer
Graduate Student
Department of Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering
University of Colorado at Boulder
(585) 503-3459