[Stoves] jatropa does not burn well for us ....but it probably has for others, somewhere

Boston Nyer bostonnyer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 04:03:50 CST 2011

Richard,

Thanks for the thoughtful response, point well taken.  We're trying our
best, but there is no doubt that we can improve our approach.  All of our
research to date has been in the field (Guatemala) working side-by-side with
our local partners and also the Jatropha farmers.  Our pyrolyzing lab setup
is based on a clever design widely used in Thailand, and we've also
conducted participatory action research with the Guatemalan community to
identify what interventions might be appropriate, if at all.  From that we
will match our lab research (what can be done with Jatropha) with the
communities needs and wants.

Although we've worked closely with "the other 90%", its generally been in a
support role.  Perhaps, we've failed to engage in a sincere partnership in
the design process.  Thank you for illuminating the issue, it has forced me
to think one (or two) step further!

Cheers,
Boston