[Stoves] Jatropha in TLUDs

Jonathan Otto ottojonathan at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 21 05:20:05 CST 2011

Boston et al,

You asked about using J seedcake as fuel, and referenced Diligent in Tanzania.  I'm not sure if Rudd or others from that company are on this list, but here's a bit of perspective.

Our nonprofit Pamoja Inc works along side Diligent in a Jatropha promotion project in Tz that is run by Parnters for Development with fuding from US Dept of Ag .  It's more like 'parallel play' than direct cooperation, as we have different approaches: whole J seeds vs pelletizing J seedcake.  Both approaches are using TLUDs of different designs.

Diligent has not yet found a way to cleanly combust J seedcake, a bi-product of its commercial J oil processing and export business.  The new idea being tested in this project is to extract J oil with screw expellers, combine the J seedcake with rice hulls that were run thru hammer mills, make pellets of the mix and use them in a TLUD. That TLUD is designed by TZ resident Bjarne Laustsen.

The approach of Pamoja and our sister agency Jet City StoveWorks is to vaporize whole unprocessed J seed in a natural draft TLUD designed to deal with the gaseous hydrocarbons of oilseeds. This work was done with an assist from Paul Anderson, whose abiding affection for TLUDS and curiousity for any fuel burned therein is well known to you all.

The J seedcake pelletizing efforts are still in early stages at the moment -- machinery waiting to clear customs in Dar -- so no performance data is available.  Apparently preliminary burns of pellets similar to those that they plan to make in large quantity were hopeful.  Any of you with pelletizing experience are most welcome to contrubute ideas!

We (Pamoja and Jet City StoveWorks) are further along. JCS has been working on stove design and testing since early September and their TLUD has had impressive results.  We will present findings at ETHOS next week and discuss the challenges of exploiting this ancient-but-brand-new source of domestic energy.

This project has organized 363 producer groups of some 20,000 J growers -- expanding to 30,000 by 2012 -- so we sure better come up with a viable cookstove SOON.

See some of you in Redman,

Jonathan  (I will use just my first name to avoid any possible confusion with the 'real' Otto)

P.S. Crispin:  With all the attention J is getting in RSA you should not have any problem getting seedcake locally.