[Stoves] [Jatropha cake properties]

Jonathan Otto ottojonathan at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 24 10:16:42 CST 2011

Crispin,

This seems like a good time to jump in and ask advice from a torteau expert and other knowledgeable readers on the Jatropha-seedcake-into-cooking-fuel strategy of my colleagues in Tanzania.

The plan is to take J seedcake produced by an electric screw expeller, along with rice hulls that have been chopped up by an electric hammer mill, mix them together throughly and run this mixture through an electric pelletizer to produce fuel for use in a TLUD stove for household cooking.

The economic logic is that by first expelling the J oil, you get two fuels:  pellets based on the J seedcake plus the free waste produced by rice dehulling, and J oil itself, which seems to have a ready market as a biodiesel, for research, etc.

My request for now concerns any advice you can offer concerning:

A) the mixing of J seedcake and chopped-up rice hulls as pelletized fuel
B) combustion of these pellets in a TLUD or other stove for household cooking
C) whatever else we haven't thought about in designing this process that we need to consider

This operation has yet to begin, so we have no performance data to present; but it's certainly a good moment to seek advice of those who have dealt with seedcake and/or pelletized fuels.

Awaiting your collective wisdom, please give us your thoughts,

Jonathan