[Stoves] Heat / cook stove - proposed design

Darren Hill mail at vegburner.co.uk
Fri Jan 28 18:37:36 CST 2011

On 25/01/2011 00:43, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:

> Dear Darren
>
> You will have a fire in the hopper if you put air in at that point.
> Wa-ay too much gas will be created. Avoid this by blocking the air
> entry hole and opening one under the grate, just below the upper right
> end. The area of the hole should be about 30 x 120mm.

The primary air hole should be 30x120mm?  With a valve so its adjustable?

> Lastly, constrain the entrance into the combustion area (where the
> secondary air enters) to about 1/3 of the area of the hopper. Keep it
> square-ish, definitely not long and thin as is often seen in furnaces.

You mean the 'throat' from hopper (A) to combustion area (B).  Third of
the hopper width would be about 7cm.  7x7 then?

> Put the secondary air entrances where it starts to expand (because
> there is additional draft there).

you mean straight away after the 'throat'?

> Light at the grate with only a little fuel, then as appropriate. Maybe
> put the window lower it you really need to see the flames. Perhaps
> better on the side of the combustion area to satisfy that urge, but it
> will cool the combustion zone a bit.

Yes I was thinking of having a window in the door into the combustion area.

Best

Darren