[Stoves] Banana ag waste, rockets & TLUDs

Leland Hite lee.hite at fuse.net
Thu Jan 27 21:03:35 CST 2011

Hi Jean,

Good questions....

Yes, as Richard indicated, we have an active program to determine what it
will take to use the waste products from the banana stalk, the leaf and the
stem of the leaf. We are taking two approaches.

First, is to take the live material and chop sufficiently for aggressive
composting. Some parts of the world immediately cut off the live stalk after
the hand has been removed and others just let it stand and die slowly.

Secondly, we want to chop and grind the fronds for immediate processing into
a wet biomass.

We thought this was going to be a fairly easy project but much to our
surprise, every step of the path is producing challenges we didn't count on.
It's way too early to go public with the findings but what we know at this
point has caused us to step back and do a more extensive burn test.

We are not ignoring the banana peel as a component to the formula but the
peel is not a main focus right now.  Joel has done a good job exploring the
peel.  It may also be a critical component to the composting process, not
sure yet, but we sure are killing a lot of banana skins these days toward
that effort.

The banana tree/stalk has turned out to be one of the most fascinating
plants we have looked at.  It is not cellular like wood but instead all
fibers.  The fibers are currently being used in research as a possible fiber
for auto body skins like fenders etc.  Possibly better than fiber glass via
the traditional method.  Also, the fibers are processed into sanitary pads
for women in Rwanda, a huge benefit for both the women and as a cottage
industry.  And, at nearly equal performance to the P&G product here in
Cincinnati at less than half the cost.

As spring approaches we hope to have a better handle on this project and be
able to say something about the results. We have a lot of testing to do
between now and then.

Hope this helps,

Lee
Home 513-677-0543