[Stoves] Pyrolysis oil into kerosene

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 07:06:12 CDT 2011

Dear Anil and Roger Samson (of Switchgrass fame)

The University of Illinois has been looking at making bioethanol from grasses instead of corn (which I suppose is still a form of grass!) and concluded that Roger is in the right track: use Switchgrass for more productivity.

Now, all they have to do is convince themselves that burning switchgrass pellets is better than bothering to make liquid fuels from it.

Ignore the part of the paper that says there will be a reduction in greenhouses gases of 473%. Not all researchers are good at math.

Posted on  <http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/07/12/the-grass-is-greener-on-the-ethanol-model-side/> July 12, 2011 by  <http://wattsupwiththat.com/author/wattsupwiththat/> Anthony Watts

>From the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign <http://www.uiuc.edu/>

Switch from corn to grass would raise ethanol output, cut emissions

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — Growing perennial grasses on the least productive farmland now used for corn ethanol production in the U.S. would result in higher overall corn yields, more ethanol output per acre and better groundwater quality, researchers report in a new study <http://www.esajournals.org/toc/fron/0/0> . The switch would also slash emissions of two potent greenhouse gases: carbon dioxide and nitrous oxide.

The study used a computer model of plant growth and soil chemistry to compare the ecological effects of growing corn (Zea mays L.); miscanthus (Miscanthus x giganteus), a sterile hybrid grass used in bioenergy production in Western Europe; and switchgrass (Panicum virgatum L.), which is native to the U.S.

The analysis found that switching 30 percent of the least productive corn acres to miscanthus offered the most ecological advantages.

“If cellulosic feedstocks (such as miscanthus) were planted on cropland that is currently used for ethanol production in the U.S., we could achieve more ethanol (plus 82 percent) and grain for food (plus 4 percent), while reducing nitrogen leaching (minus 15 to 22 percent) and greenhouse gas emissions (minus 29 percent to 473 percent),” the researchers wrote in their report, published in the journal Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment.

[snip]

The paper, “Impact of Second-Generation Biofuel Agriculture on Greenhouse Gas Emissions in the Corn-Growing Regions of the U.S.,” is available online or from the U. of I. News Bureau.

+++++++++

Thanks Crispin for the insight and details. In 1992 when pyrolysis oil R&D was in infancy I was involved little bit in its propagation and research. Since I left this field long ago I was interested in knowing whether somebody has been able to produce kerosene directly from biomass via the fast combustion process rather than going through pyrolysis oil route.

Any published work on this?

Warm regards. Anil