[Stoves] New thermoelectric product

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat Jul 16 19:18:51 CDT 2011

Crispin and list:

I happened to go to this "Redline" exhibition yesterday, you have identified below. It is one of the best I have seen for appropriate technology (actually the only AT exhibit I have seen - outside of various 3-4 day UN climate and solar meetings).. The exhibit, put together by the Smithsonian, included several each of low cost buildings, bicycles, water pumping systems, water purifiers, charcoal-using jikos (nothing like we talk about on this list, unfortunately) as well as some electronics (including low cost computers, solar rechargers, cell phones, and the Tellurex).

We have all heard about or seen themoelectric units as part of stoves - but being part of a tea pot is new to me. Everything about it looked first rate. There was no price information at their display station - just the same video as at the site you give below.

I visited the Tellurex site and they have a long list of products with prices - but didn't show this tea pot. Anyone have a price?

More about the total exhibit can be learned at the local parent site which has notice also of an August (charcoal, but expanded??) stove competition. For that, see

http://design90denver.org/events-post/efficient-stove-design-cook-off/

The photo at the home site of the above URL shows one of the largest solar cookers I have ever seen - looked like it might be 2 meters across.

This is a travelling exhibit - and would be a good one in many other cities.

Thanks to Crispin for the alert - and the Smithsonian for putting it together, and several local groups for hosting in Denver.

Ron