[Stoves] Fire Stump: center hole making

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Tue Jul 19 19:41:48 CDT 2011

 Here in Little 'ole Ashland Oregon and I suspect all over the land, ordinary softwood  logs were used for water pipes. They bored 2 to 4" dia holes right thru the center of 8 to 10 ft lengths and somehow maintained  center...Have no idea how they managed that but it wold certainly give us a clue as to how to bore a simple 18 inches depth or so.... My trusty 18 volt dewalt with a spade bit dies after about 6" yet they managed 10 ft probably by hand auguring..Perhaps any of us in the over 80's club can recall..

Richard Stanley