[Stoves] WorldStove replies to BioFuelWatyche's latest imprecise reporting of facts.

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat Jul 23 21:40:19 CDT 2011

Stove list:

A few days ago, I felt list moderator Andrew Heggie was saying there was not enough stove material in this thread. Accordingly, I will transfer the discussion to the Biochar-policy list. Anyone wishing to follow it there, but not on, or not wanting to be on the continuing thread but wanting to keep advised of the discussion, please write me personally off-list. The thread started (by Nat Mulcahy) on the Biochar list, but because this is mostly now about COs and anthropogenic warming, it seems to best fit the rules of the four Biochar lists to continue the dialog only on "Biochar-policy".

But, before leaving, I am pretty sure it was on this stoves list that Crispin made a pretty negative statement about Biochar that I need to respond to now - but cannot now locate. In this following (now heavily truncated) message, Crispin said about 80% in:
" I have already tried to engage you in a discussion about the math that seems to underlie their char-adding methods, pointing out on this site that it would take more than a millennium to grow on a square meter of soil enough wood to make enough char to produce the sort of results they are talking about for large scale agriculture (where the carbon sequestration argument ultimately lies). "

RWL:: I do remember Crispin's assertion and thought/think I responded. But now I can't find his or mine, so I ask Crispin or anyone (able to find it - I gave up after 30 minutes) to give an exact cite. As a start I can say that every year, photosynthesis produces (a net, on average) about 1/2 kg C/square meter (using 60 Gigatons of carbon from about 12 gigahectares of land, 10^3 kg/tonne, and 10^4 sqm in a hectare.). On good soil, and the right species (like sugar cane), it can be ten times higher (even more from algae). Assuming 2 kg C (not biomass)/sqm-yr, through pyrolysis we can get about 50% (25%of initial biomass weight) or 1 kg char per square meter (or 10 tons per hectare) - which is a common (high) dosage. For land and species not doing as well as this example - add more years - but I can't see a way to get to a millennium.

Needless to say, there is not much else that I found to agree with - and will write about that soon on the Biochar-policy site..

Ron

The next will remind others where to find what I am now going to be commenting on elsewhere. One more remark below..