[Stoves] WorldStove replies to BioFuelWatyche's latest imprecise reporting of facts

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 10:58:14 CDT 2011

Dear Kevin

There are already several pots on the market that generate electricity using
a TEG in base. This is undoubtedly the future. That are all sorts of
applications like that. The upper operating temperature is governed by the
solder used to attach the elements on the system so it is a no-brainer that
different materials will give is much higher operating temps.

The one I like best has a USB port on the handle so you can plug in any USB
device like a phone USB cable. Electronics can be hidden in the handle
giving reliable voltage control. In these cases, it is best if the TEG is
not very efficient. It would not be good for example to have a 50% efficient
system between the heat source and the contents of the pot. Better to remain
below 10%. They are about 3% now, with the low Delta T ones about 1%. OK,
that could be improved, but we don't want to increase the fuel consumption
noticeably, let alone dramatically.

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/38627

Dear Crispin

I think you might be onto a very important concept in your last paragraph,
where you propose "integrated energy systems." All energy systems have their
own special advantages and disadvantages. By combining systems, as you
suggest, it may be possible to build on their individual advantages, and
avoid their disadvantages.

Specifically, for example, TEG's are very inefficient, and they make little
to no sense as "stand alone generation systems", but in the case where they
are tied into a stove system, where the "reject heat" from the TEG's will be
fully used for cooking or space heating, then the TEG power has no operating
fuel cost. Now, if such a TEG system was integrated with a battery system,
in a way to prevent excessive drawdown of the batteries, extended battery
life could contribute favourably to overall system economics.

There is potentially a very interesting "integrated energy system" lurking
here: As one simple example, Solar and wind during the day, TEG in the
evening and night, with a battery system to level things out. There would be
many "variations on the basic theme", depending on the site specific
circumstances... a system that was relevant to Mongolia, would likely be
very different from a system that was relevant and optimal for Kenya.

Best wishes,

Kevin