[Stoves] WorldStove replies to BioFuelWatyche'slatestimprecisereporting of facts.

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 19:38:35 CDT 2011

Dear Roger

It is nice that you can burn a 5 lb log for 12 or more hours. In Mongolia they will freeze to death at that power level, however. When it is -35 deg and you are living what is basically an insulated tent, you need about 5 kW delivered into the home.

The traditional wood stove used is about 70 % efficient. When it is used to burn coal, they are lined with bricks. This cuts the efficiency to about 55%. THe efficiency cam easily be raised again by increasing the size of the heat exchanger between the fire chamber and the chimney. I increased its length from 160mm to 300mm and the efficiency rose above 80%.

At that efficiency, and to be suitable for Mongolia, you will have to burn about 1 to 1.5 pounds of wood per hour. If you cam do that, you may have something to show.

Have you ever had your stove tested for CO emission during the burn? A log of the data during the burn is needed to know what the efficiency is because it is part of the losses.