[Stoves] WorldStove replies to BioFuelWatyche's latestimprecisereporting of facts.

Fireside Hearth firesidehearthvashon at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 28 12:05:55 CDT 2011

Thank you Ron for trying to bring this to a level I can hopefully communicate on. I will try to respond in kind. Here is what I do know for a fact. I started cleaning chimneys at age 18. The average stove at the time was reportedly dumping 60 to 70 grams pm10 particulate emissions per hour, per stove, into our airshed. This information was supplied by the EPA who wanted to see these stoves replaced with certified stoves with a maximum emission of 4.5 grams/hour.  What happened in the homes of my 4000 customers over a 26 year period was that these new stoves cut consumption in half, better in some cases as I tried to educate good habits. This nearly destroyed my chimney cleaning revenue's, but I was convinced that CONSUMPTION was the enemy. Many of these clients went from six cord a year to three, and cleanings went from 2 to 3 a year to once every 2 to 3 years and some longer.
So what changed.....the fuel types stayed the same....just less of it. Why? the heat generated by the primary fire was almost un important in the overall production of the stove. What was important was the heat generated by the secondary fire, the burning of the gasses from the primary fire. Information also supplied by the EPA was the overall average efficiency ratings. They lumped all pre EPA stoves in the 20% range ( I wonder if this is what the average yurt owner in Mongolia has for the $65.00 they reportedly pay, I would guess this is correct) todays stoves are pushing 80%.
So now let me pose this question in a different light. One of the biggest issues facing mankind is depletion, correct? depletion of the rain forest for example. The biggest key factor in my experiance to stopping our air quality issues was slowing consumption, which in turn slowed emissions. Why could not this simple minded approach work to help the Amazon. As I understand the process......,more trees needing c.o. to exist and giving off oxygen as a by-product means we slow down the rate at which we cut down this forest, by conserving fuel. The same must be true then with the coal. I hate the idea that that much coal is used......and if the information I got from a local to Mongolia's capitol city is even near true than this technology could only reduce the appetite.
You mentioned temperature ranges at the flue pipe having a correlation to c.o. releases. I believe it had to do with the number 200 deg c which my converter tells me is 97 deg f, correct? The flue gas temps I have recorded by using both thermocouple as well as infra red testing equipment have been quite consistant at 350 degrees F. or better, with a top temp of 450 deg f.   converted to Celsius would be 176 to 232 deg c.  This might be low in the eyes those not understanding that first these gasses have been forced through our secondary combustion system at temps ranging from 800 deg f (426 c) to 1550.deg f (843 deg c.) .  The heat output of our unit is almost all from the secondary burn process. When I shut off the primary air, the fuel load "smolders" producing the fuel for the secondary fire, giving us a basic gasifier/reburner affect. While I don't have the mathematical ability to explain it any better than this....I can tell you that it really does work.
I fear that too much complexity has blinded the issue......so I say keep it simple stovers (the kiss principle) use less pollute less. It certainly can't hurt to burn less of whatever fuel is used and burning it hotter is the paramount. I simply created equipment which does both.
I hope this helps you understand more of what I have been trying to communicate all along.

           Thanks again, Roger and Bridget Lehet.