[Stoves] Bio-char Cooking Range

Michael Gill mickgill at skymesh.com.au
Mon Jun 13 02:14:49 CDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Gill
To Improved biomass cooking stoves.
         I have been looking through the literature on Bio-char and it seems to me that there is a need for a standard kitchen range to be used in the more developed world. I would therefore like to put forward my idears for one, in the hope that some company at present making standard kitchen ranges might eake up the challenge.

                                       A Bio-char Cooking Range.
      The outer appearance should be similar to present ranges such as Aga, Raburn Etc.
In the firebox there will be heating elements front and back like standard gas fire elements heated by gas introduced from the bottom. Through the middle of the firebox runs a closed
tube.Cylindrical perforated canisters of dry woodchips are mechanically fed along the
tube and through the firebox. At the end of the tube there is a trap-door which opens to drop the canister into a closed compartment under the range when it reaches a lever at the end of the tube.
      Gas from the heated biomass enters the burners drawing in air through venturies heats the elements and the tube before the hot exhaust gases are drawn  round the oven and up the chimney.The reusable canisters of bio-char can be retrieved from the sealed compartment at the bottom of the range, when convenient.
      To light up the fire, there should be a small drawer, in which shavings or small sticks can be used to start a fire that brings the next canister up to gasification temperature. A small refinement could be made by using a pump to compress some of the gas into a cylinder that could supply the burners with gas to start the fire. The speed of the feed and the gas pressure could be controled by a variable thermostat.
      I do not wish to patent this idea, but would like to make it available to all kitchen range manufactures, as I believe that it would fill a gap in the market that should be filled.

      I would be very interested in trying out sutch a cooking range ifsomeone decided to build one. my e-mail is mickgill at skymesh.com.au
                                                Sincerely Michael Gill.