[Stoves] The University of Adelaide dung-burning TLUD project

Josh Wilkey josh.wilkey at student.adelaide.edu.au
Sat Jun 18 17:33:28 CDT 2011

Dear Crispin and fellow stovers,

I am interested in finding out more about your experiences with dung burning
in TLUD cook stoves. A team of mechanical engineering undergraduates from
The University of Adelaide are optimising TLUD cook stoves for use in the
southern Terai region of Nepal, where they use buffalo dung as the primary
fuel.  Reading about Crispin's own work with goat dung and his plans for a
clean burning stove for Southern Asia has me thinking there may be some
useful advice out there regarding fuel preparation, optimal primary and
secondary air flow, fuel chamber dimensions etc.

Our own testing of cow dung in a Servals group Champion TLUD (the one
commercially produced in India) successfully boiled 4 litres of water in 30
mins (without a pot skirt) however 3 fuel canisters where used with each
lasting only 12 minutes. From discussions with Dr Paul Anderson and Dr Hugh
McLaughlin we know how important it is to increase the fuel density to
improve the stove performance. We will test different fuel preparation
techniques in the coming months however there may be many stovers out there
who have invaluable information regarding dung burning in TLUDs which may
help narrow our focus.

The bioenergylists.org website has been a great help so far in our project,
and we would most appreciative of any other documents, links or general
information which fellow stovers may be willing to share.

Kind regards,

Josh Wilkey

--
*