[Stoves] Pressure calculations

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Sun Jun 19 18:48:50 CDT 2011

Stovers;

Producing methane to use in a burner I am having problems with some pressure
calculations and hope someone can help.

The set up has three containers. A, B and C

A)      is an upside down filled water bottle hung where the top is 127 cm
from the floor and the bottom 81.3 cm from floor.

B)      Is a water filled pipe 83.8 cm long where the (A) container opening
is 2.54 cm into the water.

C)      Is a container filled with cow manure and stuff, sealed with a
single tube going out the top and into the opening of (A).

Note: (A) is a 5 gallon water bottle, (B) a PVC pipe ~2" dia. And C a five
gallon bucked with lid sealing the top.

Methane produced from (C ) goes into (A) displacing the water that then
spills over into a container that (B) sits in.

Questions:

1)       Does the gases produced in (A) have the same volume as if in
atmosphere?

2)       If not, how is it calculated and what would the volume be at open
atmosphere?

3)       Is there a difference in pressure required to fill (A) with methane
if the tube goes all the way to the inside top (into the methane gas) of (A)
or is it the same as if just going several cm up into the bottle?

4)       Is there a change in methane pressure as (A) fills with gas?

5)       Does the height of (A) relative to (C) change anything regarding
gas pressure in (A)?

I would like to know the calculations as I find I have no idea where to
start.

Thanks

For any help..

Frank