[Stoves] The University of Adelaide dung-burning TLUD project

kchisholm at ca.inter.net kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Mon Jun 20 11:49:29 CDT 2011

Dear Josh

Feedlot manure is often a disposal problem, and it would make sense to
burn it. However, it seems to me that in many cases where poor people
burn dung as a fuel, the dung would be put to a higher use as a
fertilizer or agricultural supplement. However, as a compromise, where
both fuel and fertilizer are required, it seems to me that a better
solution would be to wash the dung, and apply the washings as a
fertilizer solution. What would remain is the "biologically
undigestible fractions of the feed", which would mainly be lignin.

The "solubles" used for fertilizer would contain major minerals (Ca,
Mg, K, Na, P, etc), trace elements, hormones, and proteins. The
remainining "undigestable fraction", as basically a "Washed Lignin"
should make a superior, smoke-free fuel, with no danger of formation
of dioxins, and other toxic products of combustion containing chlorine.

What do you think of the practicality and sensibility of washing dung?

Best Wishes,

Kevin Chisholm,
AKA "Dr. Dung."