[Stoves] Orange Peels

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Thu Jun 23 12:22:00 CDT 2011

Thanks. This reminds me of one of our favorite brandy drinks from New
Orleans called "Orange Brûlot"

1 orange

1 pony cognac brandy ( a pony glass holds one ounce, 30 cc)

1 lump sugar

                Take an orange and lightly slit the peel horizontally
through the middle, then turn the rind back and upward to form a cup. Repeat
with the other half of rind, reversing the process to form a  base. Be
careful not to disengage the peel from either end of the orange, and leave
the stripped orange pulp intact for the center standard of your natural
goblet.

                In the upper part of the orange rind or cup place a lump of
sugar, then pour in the pony of brandy. Set off with a match and stir while
the sugar is dissolving in the blue flame.

                Preparing this natural container takes practice and
deftness, and the idea of burning the brandy in the orange rind is for the
sake of the flavor of the oil contained in the peel besides making a picture
that charms with its novelty. The fruit of the orange is delightful to eat
after the brandy has been burned and the drink quaffed.

("Famous New Orleans Drinks and How to Mix 'em", Stanley Clisby Arthur,
1937)

Tom