[Stoves] Refuelable TLUD Coal Stove developed in Mongolia that is not a batch process.

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 01:10:31 CST 2011

Dear Ron

Interesting questions.

   Can this or any of the ELCD designs be used to produce char?

I am pretty sure the stove could be used to produce at least some coke. I have not tried the ELCD (which is a modified traditional stove) fuelled with wood. Perhaps we will do that a little later in the year.

Generally speaking all domestic coal fires can produce coke.

   Can this be fed with biomass briquettes or pellets as well as coal?

There are a number of stoves here so the answer is yes and no. The TLUD generally is not running well with wood briquettes but that is more a matter of making a stove designed to do so than the fuel being inappropriate. We have lots of issues with leaky stove fabrication. Too much primary air for a gasifier.

   How does one switch from TLUD to ELCD - and are both controllable for both primary and secondary air?

Ah, slight clarification. The ELCD stove is refuelled (it has a rather long combustion chamber with the air exit at the far end) by pushing the hot coals to the far end and refuelling in a way that the coals ignite the new fuel only at the far end. There is no conversion in today’s. The hot coals are pushed to the back of a pretty round combustion chamber, so let’s say, to the side. The coal (today it was 2 kg) is placed against the pile and towards the side loading door.  The fire starts on the coals and burns slowly towards the door.

As I write the test continues. The power has dropped to 2.0 kW, the CO(EF) is 15,780 so the flame must be nearly out at least on one side of the bed. The PM 2.5 is about 10 microgrammes /m^3. That translates into about 40 mg/Net MJ. It will probably not rise much over the next hour.

There are traditional sawdust burning stoves around but extremely uncommon. It is possible some of them make char.