[Stoves] Misuderstanding of TLUD stoves Re: Refuelable TLUD Coal Stove developed in Mongolia that is not a batch process.

Paul S. Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sat Mar 5 22:43:16 CST 2011

Go to the bottom of Crispin's message for my reply.
--
Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Known to some as:  Dr. TLUD    Doc    Professor
Phone (USA): 309-452-7072   SKYPE: paultlud   Email: psanders at ilstu.edu

Quoting Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <crispinpigott at gmail.com>:

> [...]
> pyrolysis front that moves upwards through the fuel, just as you describe
> one moving downwards through the fuel, reaching the 'end' of the furl
> charge. That is on top in the downdraft and the bottom in the updraft.
>
> They are literally identical in operation save for the 'down-ness' of the
> construction. In the case of a downdraft, more fuel can be added on top of
> the pyrolysed fuel and the reaction can continue. In the case of a TLUD fuel
> can be pumped under the pile to achieve the same result. There are large
> Russian coal burners that work this way. They can make gas or burn
> everything completely, and/or make coke depending on what you want. I have
> seen drawings for a 320 kW one here in Ulaanbaatar.
>
> "In a TLUD, the hot zone starts at the top, but then the hot pyrolysis
> front migrates downward until reaching the bottom of the fuel pile.
> That is FUNDAMENTALLY DIFFERENT from the downdraft gasifiers."
>
> Well, it is different from the one you described above, but it is identical
> to the ones I have built. It is identical to a downdraft gasifier that
> operates in a char producing mode. You described a downdraft fire that burns
> the char and which has more fuel falling into the hot zone. I have built
> those too. Depends on what you want! If you choke the air passing through
> the fuel in a downdraft stove, just as you choke the under-air in a TLUD,
> the result is the same: same fire, same gases, same pyrolysis front, same
> char. The difference is that you can toss a little fuel on top of the hot
> zone. I can toss fuel on top of the pyrolysis done. Both have the effect of
> continuation of the fire.
>
> This continuation is however slightly different in nature. Tossing small
> amount of fuel on top of TLUD is not continuing a TLUD gasifier operation as
> there is now no moving pyrolysis front. Opening the cover of a DD gasifier
> and tossing on some fuel on top of the still reacting pyrolysis front lets
> the 'true gasification' continue. You could in fact add a 1 foot deep pile
> of fuel on top of the fuel and the pyrolysis zone would move into it as it
> did before. If the air supply remained controlled (limited) it would
> continue to produce gases below the grate at the bottom.
>
> If you like I can demonstrate this to you.
>
>> Note:  In the case of the Chip Energy Biomass Furnace (www.chipenergy.com)
> which is a true updraft gasifier with continuous operation (and the hot zone
> is at the bottom where the air is entering), the new fuel enters in small
> amounts, avoiding the problem mentioned in the above paragraph about water
> vapor."
>
> This does not sound like a TLUD, it sounds like a gasifier that has fuel
> dropped onto a burning layer in a restricted air environment (which
> automatically produces a combustible gas). I agree that it is updraft. I
> agree that it is a gasifier. It is of course no longer 'top-lit' as the hot

Crispin.  Correct.  The Chip Energy Biomass Furnace is NOT a TLUD.
That is what I have said.

Concerning your other comments, the problem is that the term
"downdraft" is being used as the SINGLE descriptor of several
strikingly different types of gasifiers.  I have used the term "true"
when maybe I should have said "traditional, as seen in the textbooks
descriptions."  OTHER modifier words would be useful to describe the
different variations of downdraft devices with which you are working.
But you need to do that, not me.  You need to be clear about what
variation of downdraft gasifier you are referring.

And I will try to do likewise.

Paul