[Stoves] Carbon in fertiliser

Lloyd Helferty lhelferty at sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 19 10:36:09 CDT 2011

Stephen,

   This information is on the /*IBI Website:*/

http://www.biochar-international.org/profiles/china

"In order to get*the most economical and ecological biochar,* three
different models for manufacturing biochar have been developed since
2005: *two are stoves (biomass energy-biochar gasifiers)*... The stove
models differ from other existing stoves on the market in China due to
their ability to offer the end user clean renewable energy in the home
and the *potential of a passive income through biochar*. The stove is
affordable for households or small companies. The flue gas analysis from
these stoves shows that the concentration of CO in newly-developed
models is less than 2000 mg/Nm^3 , while in other comparable stoves this
value was between 5930-26670 mg/Nm^3 ."

"the team... developed a *biochar-based amino acid fertilizer*, which is
made up of biochar with some/*fermented organic material with high
amino-acid content*/. After strict testing by the Zhejiang Provincial
Office for Agriculture, the new fertilizer has tested percentages of
about 16% amino acid, 55% organic C, 8% total N, 3% K2O, 3% P2O5, and
5.9 pH value. Just this month (February 2011), the new biochar-based
fertilizer passed the government testing process and is now _*permitted
to be produced for the market*_. The field trials show that the
biochar-based fertilizer *can significantly increase the N efficiency in
soils*, which usually exceeds 45%"

Also: http://www.biochar-international.org/regional/china

"Participants also visited a new facility in Hangzhou that is producing
a biochar-based organic fertilizer. This plant was developed as a
collaboration between Mr Lu of the Hangzhou Qianjiang Drying Equipment
Co., Ltd, and *Mr Robert Flanagan* and *Professor Zhong* of the /*China
National Research Center of Bamboo*/. The plant consists of a pyrolysis
unit that provides heat for a rotary agglomerator. The biochar is fed
into the agglomerator and */a liquid containing minerals and amino acids
is sprayed onto the biochar/*. The material is then dried as it tumbles
around the drum to form a small granular product that will be applied to
soils with seed-drill equipment already being utilized by farmers.
During the site visit, Robert Flanagan also demonstrated several
*stoves* that he was developing with Mr Lu at his factory, including*two
small cookstoves* and a larger unit intended to heat a room in rural
areas for up to 8 hours, while also providing cooking heat and a biochar
product."

   To me, this development (the Biochar "fertilizer" has been "permitted
to be produced for the market") could be an _extremely important
development_ in the world of Biochar, especially if the large-scale
agglomeration process of combining "fermented organic material with high
amino-acid content" with Biochar can /_also_/ be applied at a smaller
(village) scale using /*Cookstove-derived Biochar*/.

   Lloyd Helferty, Engineering Technologist
   Principal, Biochar Consulting (Canada)
   www.biochar-consulting.ca
   603-48 Suncrest Blvd, Thornhill, ON, Canada
   905-707-8754; 647-886-8754 (cell)
      Skype: lloyd.helferty
   Steering Committee member, Canadian Biochar Initiative
   President, Co-founder&  CBI Liaison, Biochar-Ontario
     Advisory Committee Member, IBI
   http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1404717
   http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42237506675
   http://groups.google.com/group/biochar-ontario
   http://www.meetup.com/biocharontario/
   http://grassrootsintelligence.blogspot.com
    www.biochar.ca

Biochar Offsets Group: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2446475
"Necessity may be the mother of invention, but innovators need to address problems before they become absolute necessities..."