[Stoves] Stove comparison coming

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 14:14:10 CDT 2011

On Sunday 20 March 2011 16:35:54 Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:
> I am suspicious that high BC emissions do not arise from fixed carbon.

First we'd have to define "fixed carbon" in terms of how it is derived,
i.e. which bits of the original biomass molecules contribute to the
remaining char. We know that high lignin biomass tends to produce more
char and interestingly lignin has phenolic like (6 carbon atoms in a
ring)structures, whereas cellulose and hemicellulose are basically
chains, aliphatic.

I  thought we took that soot was formed in the secondary combustion as
read for a few years now?

When Tami used to post to the list I inferred from her messages that soot
was formed in the secondary combustion area.

Since then we have had a few discussions when suggestions have been made
for the mechanism for this.

My take has been that the pyrolysis offgas from oxygen starved primary
combustion, as in a tlud, is almost all fuel with very little dilution
from primary air combustion products and when either premixed or in a
diffuse flame as long as the right conditions existed it burned out
completely, hence no soot. Alter the conditions by quenching the flame
and the combustion doesn't get to completion, hydrogen atoms from offgas
are stripped and burn preferentially leaving a carbon rich particles
exposed to high temperatures glowing in the flame. If these particles
stay hot enough and meet an oxygen molecule then combustion is clean but
if combustion isn't completed what transformations do these carbon
bearing particles undergo?  We know from pyrolysis that many secondary
reactions take place, such that if the feedstock is large sections
carbon is redeposited within the char. Also that as the pyrolysis
temperature increases so aliphatic compounds morph into phenolic
compounds.

Further I hypothesise that groups of carbon rings are more resistant to
oxidation than simple chains of carbon.

So my bet is that in a diffuse flame (and most of our stoves flames are
diffuse to some extent, witness the yellow flame, if you want to see a
good premixed woodgas flame visit some of the [Gasification] pages and
see the pure blue flames they produce, because their offgas has been
subject to a temperature of between 1100C and 850C at its exit to, render
almost all the wood into simple gases, CO,H2 and N2,[1]) if you don't
burn the offgas out hot and quickly you end up producing a graphite like
soot that is difficult to burn.

Another point is that many stoves lend themselves to running with poor
combustion conditions, excess air and moisture will particularly cause
this as will cold masses in the stove walls. The TLUD avoids this because
it plain won't work with high mc fuel and if you add too much primary air
total combustion occurs at the pyrolysis front and no offgas is produced.
So to some extent the tlud self limits poor combustion.

[1] Alexis Belonio also posted pictures of a perfect blue flame from his
most recent rice husk gasifier.

AJH