[Stoves] Stove comparison/ PM

Paul S. Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 22 09:15:00 CDT 2011

Crispin and Alex and all,

One clarification about this comment from Crispin:
>> As you know, the
>> essence of the biomass gasifier stove claim is that it is the gasification
>> process that creates a clean burning gas, by leaving the PM producing carbon
>> behind

I believe there are two (probably more?) sources of PM.  One is from
the NON-combustion of the volatiles, which is the case IF the fire
goes out at the upper combustion of the gases from the TLUD.  And Alex
stated that also below.

The second source is the point of confusion with the comment from
Crispin.  In the TLUD when char is created, the carbon even when very
free from volatiles is also holding much of the ASH that is in the raw
fuel.  When the char/carbon is burner (char gasification), that ash is
being released and some (the smallest particles?) is able to be
carried upward by the air currents, giving the PM reading.  The carbon
does not produce the PM.  It was just holding the matter that could
escape as PM in some circumstances.

Note that the PM from TLUDs is lowest when the char is note
char-gasifier, is higher when the TLUD combusts everything down to
only ash remaining, and both of those amounts of PM are LOWER than
what is the PM from a charcoal burning stove (when compared by the
WBT:  The data are in my graph of CO and PM emissions that reports
data from WB tests at Aprovecho.

But the vast majority of potential for PM is from "smoke" that is not
combusted, and a proper burner (such as the concentrator lid) on a
TLUD does a very good job of getting that smoke combusted.

I do NOT have specific scientific tests to support the above
statements about ash in char.  Maybe someone else (those working on
charcoal stoves?) has such data or would conduct the tests.

Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Known to some as:  Dr. TLUD    Doc    Professor
Phone (USA): 309-452-7072   SKYPE: paultlud   Email: psanders at ilstu.edu
www.gtz.de/de/dokumente/giz2011-en-micro-gasification.pdf   (Best ref.)