[Stoves] new report on jatropha

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Thu Mar 24 02:33:17 CDT 2011

Nat (cc stoves ):

   Interesting report;  thanks!   A surprise to me was that so much of the current Jatropha planting is in Asia - where water excess, not deficit, can be a problem.  I'm leaving (formerly called, now HCMC) Saigon in a few hours, after being in one tremendous rainstorm.  I have read that the max flow of the Mekong has been as much as 48 times its minimum flow.  Maybe Jatropha makes sense here, if not in Kenya?
   I now have a deeper appreciation of the impact of global warming on biomass resources (mostly mangroves - widely used for charcoal-making) near our tropical ocean edges.  Vietnam's Mekong delta is perhaps the world's most productive source of rice - somewhat like Bangladesh.

Ron

Sent from my iPad